[Notifications] Discussion Notification: Activity that involves you

Similar to how Facebook notifies you when someone replies to your specific post, I would like this feature in Canvas.

In nearly all of my classes, we are required to make postings and answer student replies. However, there is not a notification feature that indicates when a student has commented on your specific post. We only receive general notifications that a student in your class has commented or posted something. On Facebook, this is called: "Activity that involves you" : You'll always get notifications about activity that involves you, like when someone tags you in a photo or comments on your post.

Essentially, I want to know when someone has replied to my specific post so I can address them back.

Currently, the notification options for Discussions are far to general (attached below)

Added to Theme

57 Comments
alexandra_janos
Community Member

This feature has been suggested by multiple students in my courses - it would be very helpful for them!

JBMaurice
Community Explorer

It would be great to be able to set up notifications specifically regarding who mentions me or reply to me in a discussion.
e.g. I don't want to have a notification for each and every discussion in a topic I subscribed too. Only those that I deem relevant to me.

jean-pierre_plu
Community Member

I do not understand why a suggestion like this one keeps an "open" status for more than 3 years. Please ... lot's of teachers and students need this option to get focused feedback in order not to loose time tracking each added contribution on their initial contributed answers. This shouldn't be that hard to develop programmatically 

hrford
Community Member

This feature is essential for online students particularly to keep them engaged. 

It is disappointing that this suggestion was made in 2018, and it is now 2022 with no uptake. Is it possible to get an update as to whether particular idea suggestions (such as this one) are being or will be considered?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

ann_mirabito
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I find students meet minimal requirements for the Discussion Board assignments (make the main post, and comment on two other students' posts). It would be more conversational if students had a back and forth. But it would be time consuming for them to go back to the discussion board and see if anyone replied to them. Same for me, as the instructor. I'd like to know when a student reads my comment and says something in reply.

Proposed solution:

Create a notification option for Discussion Boards: get notified ONLY when someone replies to your post. The benefit is that faculty/students could respond in real time and carry on the conversation, which is a big goal of the Discussion Boards.

User role(s):

instructor