[Notifications] Submission Comments w/ History of Entire Speedgrader Message Issues

Problem statement:

When Submission Comment messages are received in our institutional inbox and faculty respond, Canvas copies the entire message (including the original question/comment from the student) and places it in the Assignment Comments under the original question/comment. This includes all the URLs that Canvas automatically adds to Inbox messages when faculty receive a notification from Canvas.

Example: The student submits the following comment on her assignment submission: "I realized that when I saved the assignment, the reference page ended up with the conclusion and not on a separate page. I fixed it and resubmitted it." I receive this message in my institutional inbox and respond with "Thank you, [Student Name]" and my email signature.

In Canvas, this is how it appears on SpeedGrader - please note I have removed/replaced all mention of faculty/student information with brackets [ ] and the information that would go there: Original Message: [Student Name] [Date and Time of Comment] "I realized that when I saved the assignment, the reference page ended up with the conclusion and not on a separate page. I fixed it and resubmitted it." Under the original message in one box: [Faculty Name] [Date and Time of Comment] Thank you, [Student Name]! [Professor's signature - Name, position, school, phone number, URL to our institutional name - /var/folders/w8/vgng9ttj7pbdywfgh2fj78vsj3dynx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/wordmark-for-email.jpg] From: [Student Name] Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 7:59 PM To: [Faculty Name] <[faculty email]@school.edu> Subject: Submission Comment: [Student Name], [Assignment Title], COUR123: [Course Title] (B01) [Student Name] just made a new comment on the submission for [Student Name] for [Assignment Title] I realized that when I saved the assignment, the reference page ended up with the conclusion and not on a separate page. I fixed it and resubmitted it. [Student Name] [Student Name] You can review the submission details by clicking the link below: [https://du11hjcvx0uqb.cloudfront.net/dist/images/email_signature-d2c5880612.png] Click here to review the submission <> | Update your notification settings<>

Proposed solution:

When faculty respond to a student's assignment comment from their institutional inbox, only the response (or the body) of the reply should be recorded in the assignment comments box in SpeedGrader. Duplication of the student's original comment should not be included as the historical record is already available in SpeedGrader under the Assignment Comments. This would help streamline communication with students, reduce redundancy, decrease the excessive clutter, and help the students/faculty/admin see the natural flow of the conversation without all the unnecessary noise.

User role(s):

instructor,student,ta

Added to Theme

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

canvas_admin
Community Champion

This happens because the "original email" is being included in the reply.  While not ideal, if the faculty are trained to delete the original email from their reply, then all of that extra clutter will not appear in the comment box; just the faculty response.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme