Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @r_agterberg  

We do not have an update at this time, but if you continue to follow this thread you will be notified if/when there is an update.  Also, follow the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=9b6ac576-a2a9-48dc-836a-a9aa165bf...‌ space to see some of our current development priorities.

sally_nathenson
Community Novice

Thanks for asking about this, Robin.  I was also hoping there would have been progress on this issue.  Let's hope it comes soon.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

We keep getting asked if this is possible and I keep replying with "hopefully in the future."  🙂

taylor_pullinge
Community Novice

How was this idea posted in 2015 but there's still no feature? I need this update! Smiley Sad

sally_nathenson
Community Novice

Dear Susan,

It has been three years, the future is now.  What should we, the users who are asking for this feature, do to make it a priority for Canvas?

r_agterberg
Community Member

Me too! 

dbf11
Community Member

Frankly, not impressed by arguments that this would require a rewrite of all/most of Canvas infrastructure. It's just a notification. All sorts of actions are triggered by user submissions, announcements, etc. and checking for notification settings of the affected users is just one of these.

Please expedite this feature request.

Thanks!

Derek

brian_gatten
Community Novice

I agree.  I find it very difficult to believe this is such a monumental task.  When is the last time an actual coder reviewed this request?  How about a second opinion?  It's clearly a popular request.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Derek,

Not to downplay the importance of this request - I realize it would be hugely valuable for students, who often find themselves in different courses where the amount and nature of notifications coming from one course differ greatly from the other or where they want immediate notification for one but not another.  However, I can tell you that over the years I have personally witnessed three times when someone in product management has vowed to get this done, only to discover that it really would require redesigning and rebuilding all notifications across the system.  Again, I know this is something that would be very helpful but what others have said in the thread about the number of cycles it would take away from other projects is accurate.

sally_nathenson
Community Novice

Thanks for your comments, Scott.  But this is also (mostly??) about instructors' needs. Many of us are instructors who manage several courses that we are not teaching and getting all the notifications from the courses we manage is not just annoying but distracting from the courses we are actually teaching.  Just wanted to clarify that.