Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
jltilghman1
Community Novice

Scott,

Would it be possible with the current Canvas structure to mute a course? I understand from reading previous comments that dynamic control of each of the courses notifications would require significant changes, but even being able to entirely mute a couple courses would be a great help.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thats an interesting idea,  @jltilghman1 .   Off the top of my head I don't know.  My guess would be that muting all notifications from items located in a specific course would be difficult for the same reason that it is difficult to change how notifications are handled (frequency for example) for all items in the same course.  I can ask though. 

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

@rthornton ‌ and  @tori ‌

This may also be useful to your needs when offering diverse course types! #please vote‌ if you think this is suitable for your needs also! Smiley Happy

respectfully_se
Community Novice

We have over 48 employee training courses, and quizzes need to updated annually. Every time the quiz/s are updated over 17,000 employees get notified. These notifications cause panic, confusion and generate 100's, and 100's off emails back to our training department. It has been a major complaint from our faculty and students at 12 of our colleges, since we adapted Canvas.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I love that you bring up Mobile Notifications in your comments! If this idea were to be pushed through to production, then the mobile team could (hopefully) find a way to translate the granular options to the mobile -- Student, Teacher, and Parent. By providing each of those user groups more control over their notification settings, they are ensured that they receive the information they deem as "critical" and they can filter out the other pieces that aren't as urgent. Too many notifications can become easy to ignore... It's a balancing act, for sure. If everyone can customize their notifications, that would be fantastic and incredibly valuable.

Once this hits production, you bet the Community will see a Granular Notifications for Mobile feature idea appear in https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=0198f0b8-e0c3-4e70-abe5-5806bc118...‌. :smileygrin:

d00228807
Community Novice

Has there been any traction on this feature? Extremely frustrated

DeletedUser
Not applicable

It would really be great to have more granular control over notifications, not just by courses, but by email per course.

I'm currently in the situation where I'm in courses as an assistant and a student. I would prefer to have the notifications for courses where I am a student sent to my personal email - 1) because I don't check my work email outside of work and 2) they're not work emails. 

However, I would still like to keep the emails for the courses where I'm a assistant as being sent to my work address, because they' are work emails and I don't want messages/comments/discussions/etc from students clogging up my personal email address.

sally_nathenson
Community Novice

It seems this feature has been at least two years in process.  I supervise more courses than I teach and I don't want to be notified about every detail in the courses I supervise, but that means I can't get notified about details (comment submissions, etc) in my own courses either.  Please, please continue to work on this!

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Ditto. This feature would be so helpful for instructional designers and others who have their hands in a lot of courses.

r_agterberg
Community Member

Is there a update of the status of this feature? As you could see, a lot of Canvas users are interested in this feature. I hope this function eventually comes to Canvas.