Order Discussion Posts from Newest to Oldest

Currently, the discussion posts are ordered from oldest to newest.  A student/professor has to scroll or go to the last page and then scroll to get to the latest post.

Canvas REALLY needs to re-order this so that newest discussion posts appear at the top of the first page so that it is easy to find current conversations.

This topic had 100+ likes in the old community and I was really surprised not to see it on here already (I searched for this using several different search terms).   I sure hope we don't have to go through and re-idea every single feature request that had at least 30 likes and was years old with no action or response from Instructure.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

140 Comments
learning_suppor
Community Member

Really important feature. 

kwhopson
Community Member

I didn't see a way to edit my suggestion or I would have updated it from changing the sort order to making it sortable. 

mahuddleston
Community Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow sorting from New to Old.  With huge courses, even with Collapse All, it take forever to load and scroll all the way down.  

jjr27
Community Member

I recognize that this request is 5 years old at this point, but the ongoing posts on this thread support the need for this feature. We have faculty across our University requesting the ability to choose to sort discussions with the newest posts first. This is especially useful for help and support forums, where students are posting questions and seeking assistance - their posts get buried under a semester's worth of information if we can't sort by newest first.

CiaraRoxanne
Community Novice
I have a suggestion to make Canvas a bit easier to use.  In our school, we need to respond to our peer's comments and they prefer us to comment under those that haven't been commented on.  It would be nice to be able to either filter the comments or put the newest main posts first and the old ones at the end.  
adamboyce
Community Participant

Agreed! This is a basic function for any LONG-TERM discussion. The existing feature works for discussions with one required canned response, but if we want to promote deep learning with lots of engaging discussions between students diving deep on the same topic over time, the current functionality just doesn't cut it. Honestly, this seems like SUCH an easy fix. -- And with 125 + comments it's a bit unnerving nothing has been done in the last 5+ YEARS...

zaninm1
Community Explorer

We need this discussion post sorting option ASAP - PLEASE!

If it is impossible to provide an option, then the default should be for the newest discussion posts to appear first.  It is not logical to have to scroll through everything you have already read to get to the new posts.

cdorn225
Community Novice

Having the option to choose the order in which posts appear would be massively helpful -- and, dare I say, not that hard to implement on the programming side. Let's put this 6-year comments collection to rest and get this feature added. Please, put it on the priority list and make it happen. I know lots of teachers who would be so happy to have that option.

gchu
Community Explorer

Can we please make this basic feature happen?

ALCESL5
Community Member

Would be a great option for my students (Adult ESL), many of whom access Canvas (primarily) through their phones.  It's a much more friendly interface.