Order Discussion Posts from Newest to Oldest

Currently, the discussion posts are ordered from oldest to newest.  A student/professor has to scroll or go to the last page and then scroll to get to the latest post.

Canvas REALLY needs to re-order this so that newest discussion posts appear at the top of the first page so that it is easy to find current conversations.

This topic had 100+ likes in the old community and I was really surprised not to see it on here already (I searched for this using several different search terms).   I sure hope we don't have to go through and re-idea every single feature request that had at least 30 likes and was years old with no action or response from Instructure.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

140 Comments
roniabusaad
Community Member

Agreed that this would be a very useful feature. Often the first students to post get lots of engagement and responses and the last few get none.

sarah_danis
Community Novice

That would be so beneficial when reading discussions!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Discussion topics display an updated design with small usability enhancements. These changes ensure page responsiveness and prepare the interface for feature functionality improvements (controlled by account- and course-level feature options).

In this first phase, users can sort replies from newest to oldest, and back, as documented in How do I view and sort discussion replies in Discu...  This feature is only available in accounts that have enabled Discussion Redesign in feature options.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19) and  Discussions Redesign User Group + Early Access.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed