[Pages] ALL links when Page name changes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Here's a common scenario:

An instructor makes a page, let's say a module overview page, and then links to this page from a custom Home page. While developing the course, the instructor changes the name of the module overview page. This breaks the homepage link because the page URL contains the page name.

Please create a system to avoid this common problem.

Added to Theme

87 Comments
david_vandenbur
Community Novice

Really important!

It would also be very helpful if there were an easy way to find all the links: what assignments, pages, discussions, etc. link to any given page?

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

@david_vandenbur ​ At first I thought I had seen your idea in the feature ideas, but when I looked, this was the closest I got: ​   Your idea is for Pages, not Files, and I think it is a wonderful idea. If you write it up as a feature idea, I will vote for it. Smiley Happy

JGarton
Community Contributor

I've had to deal with this issue multiple times. No doubt that this would be an across the board benefit for all.

Janetta

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Agreed! As we move to a more page-heavy navigation structure in our courses, this has been a headache...

anthonem
Community Contributor
Author

I'm so glad to see this has made the next stage. I just helped (yet another) faculty understand that their page links need to be updated after changing page titles.

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for the feature request. I can see how referencing the page ID number rather than referencing the page name would help prevent some of these links from breaking. I completely agree that this would be a better solution, and I have added this to our backlog of work to track it. Unfortunately given the other priorities we are working on, I think it is unlikely that we will be able to get this done in the next six months. I will be happy to update this post if that changes.

anthonem
Community Contributor
Author

Deactivated user​ - thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear this won't be an easy fix in the near future, but I'm glad to hear this request has been added to the backlog.

This problem is one of my pet peeves about Canvas currently. Many of our courses have a custom homepage with links to weekly module overview pages. The names of the overview pages change every term for many courses. Oftentimes faculty don't realize their homepage links are broken until after a confused student lets them know.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

A similar idea that builds on this idea has surfaced and will be open for voting Feb. 3, 2016. " style="color: #2989c5;

a_tsai
Community Contributor

A similar idea that offers a different solution was meant to be open for voting April 6, 2016, but it has already been archived! Smiley Sad

a_tsai
Community Contributor

Update: a similar idea has been re-opened for voting: