Permissions Page improvements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Freeze the column headings when you scroll down the list of permissions so it is easier to know which permission you are adjusting.  Presently, one has to count columns and then remember which one to change, since the role names scroll off the page as one moves to the bottom of the ever-expanding list of permissions.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

32 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

The above code works great and I see where I can make use of both examples.  My gratitude.   

I often compare permissions assigned to 2-3 account roles when on that page.  Being able to limit the view to a subset of 2-3 account roles would have me dancing.

James
Community Champion

The code for what's in the video is done, I just need to upload it and make the announcement. That's the one that moves the role to the beginning. The other option is to make it totally re-orderable, but that doesn't fix the issue of the headings scrolling off the top, so I think moving it to the beginning is better until the headings become stationary.

James
Community Champion

I have created a script that will wait for you to click on the role label at the top of the column and then move that role to the front of the list next to the permission descriptions.

When you scroll vertically, you don't have to worry about which column you're looking at because it will be the first one. And you don't have to shrink the zoom to see the entire list of roles because yours will then be at the beginning and so you use your normal zoom.

You can even click sequentially on two or more role labels to the move them to the front to make it easier to compare the roles since they will now be side by side.

Permissions Page Role Sorting

fosterl
Community Contributor

James, your JS hack for seeing just one role is FANTASTIC. I will use this all the time now.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02) 

millerjm
Community Champion

It's beautiful!!!!  Heart

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .

Jeff_F
Community Champion

high five

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Dance of Joy!

282101_pastedImage_1.gif

hesspe
Community Champion

I would like to thank the person or team that did the new Permissions interface.  It is better than I could have imagined.