Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
rheisler
Community Member

Why is this feature not available yet? Would be helpful to at least know why.

Spent hours proofing an exam that should have taken me 20 minutes if I could have downloaded it to read through. Previewing the exam not very helpful as we have  many question groups, and multiple versions of each question within the group for random selection. I could preview it 10 times and still not see all the questions. I think a Canvas designer needs to spend an hour opening each question and each distractor for that question to understand how truly frustrating and time consuming it is. And after all that time, still ended up with 3 problematic questions that would have stood out if I could easily see the question on a pdf. 

For all of the reasons listed by multiple users: please take this request seriously!

clerkic
Community Novice

It would be great to export canvas quizzes as PDF version or download as excel files. 

It would also be great if quizzes could be locked to prevent accidental amendments by other users. 

DEspy
Community Novice

Many students forget their computer or it is not charged on test day. It would be awesome to take advantage of our hard work to be able to print the quiz so they can take it paper/pencil.   

norman_stulz
Community Member

The ability to print quizzes is a "must have" for me if I'm able to accommodate all my IEP's.  I was really surprised that Canvas can't do this with all the other features it has.  Not being able to do something as simple as printing out an assessment is very disappointing, and will eventually be a deal breaker for me.

emily_chandler
Community Member

I AGREEEEEE!

jlockwood
Community Member

This is a definitely a needed feature. My school has students in the same class who will be attending in person as well as remote from home. However, not every student has a device. Being able to print a quiz that some are taking electronically would keep the testing equitable. Also, some students have IEPs that could prevent them from having to take a test on a computer.

whitfordm66
Community Novice

I have students with neurological issues who cannot read a computer screen for more than 5 minutes before getting sick.  It would be beneficial to be able to download a pdf or text file format of the quizzes and assignments to give them as paper copies.  Right now I copy and paste from the edit screen and then reformat to give to them.  This takes an incredible amount of time.

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Circa 2015! Let's make this a 2021 reality. I think something simple to allow teachers to snag a copy of their quiz for students who need the paper version for various reasons.🎼  I. I believe. I believe that. I believe that we. I believe that we will print. I believe that we will print. I believe that we will print. I believe that we will print.  🎵

jpglezr
Community Member

It would be helpfull to export students quizzes to pdf.  This may help to evaluate the teacher course.  In my university We have to have evidence of our courses and it is not possible to have it for the Canvas quizzes. 

stacy_reagan
Community Member

Having the ability to print assessments is an absolute must for our K-12 district.  We need this for accommodated testing as well as extended absences.  The new quizzes so far has not been a pleasant experience for us on the whole.