Quick Toggle Student View

Being able to toggle into Student View within my classes in order to double- and triple-check to make sure "everything is as it should seem" is a wonderful feature built into Canvas.

FEATURE IDEA: Have a quick toggle button located at the upper-righthand navigation that allowed me to toggle Student View ON/OFF easily, would improve my workflow and efficiency in setting up new assignment / pages / etc.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community

79 Comments
michael9
Community Novice

I would like to add my voice to those asking for a shortcut to Student View. Either that, or a button/link that is always visible regardless of the page would be very helpful: anything that minimizes the number of clicks to achieve a task should be encouraged, IMHO.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
pattene
Community Participant

I am surprised that there isn't a faster way to view the course as a Student. I know I'm repeating you all, but it is so time consuming to have to click on Settings, click, click, click (I've lost track) to see what students see.

bogardde
Community Participant

Truth.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 4:07 PM, pattene@flc.losrios.edu <

duy_nguyenxuana
Community Novice

This is a perfect idea. It will save us lot of time. Thanks for bringing this up. :smileylaugh:

stuckg
Community Novice

As most are saying, being able to quickly check "Student View" after creating events, assignments, etc., would save a lot of time.  Looking forward to the update when it comes out. 

jamahannah
Community Explorer

Getting out of student view is easy, but entering student view is very inconvenient. It should be an option at the top corner of all instructor pages without leaving the page.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I just wanted to add a "me too" to the discussion.  I would love to see an quick way to enter student view.  I check and tweak content frequently when developing a course and this feature would be a big time saver!

ejackson
Community Champion

This would be SO much easier to use! It's got my vote!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I didn't find this reference when I posted my same/similar idea, but want to memorialize it here with what I hope is a useful infographic.

As an UX/UI instructional designer, I like to view what I'm creating in the Canvas RCE after short intervals of work, and view what I've created within STUDENT VIEW.

We all know the sole circuitous manner to do this now, that requires publishing the incomplete assignment/quiz/discussion (1 click), leaving our work for the Settings page (1 click), selecting Student View (1 click), then rerouting back to the assignment/quiz/discussion (1+ clicks) to view as a student.

Extra screen real estate exists in the right margin to put the Student View (and the Share to Commons) feature on all assignment/quiz/discussion elements. Such a enhancement would save teachers and designers time, and make keep the the design task focused on the creative process rather than a mind-numbing, repetitive one.

Student View available on all assignment, quiz, and discussion &quot;Canvas consumables.&quot;