Quiz grades as percentages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

"I would like to have a QUIZ OPTION to record quiz scores as a percentage in the grade book rather than a score out of possible points. I understand that the assignment group percentages are calculated based on total points. Therefore, each quiz has to have the same number of points if you want each quiz to be weighted equally in the assignment group percentage for quizzes. I want to have the content and learning outcomes for a module determine the number of questions in a quiz rather than having to add or subtract questions just so the point totals are equal. I also want the assignments in a module to have the same relative value in the module score.

Most non-quiz graded assignments in groups are graded by the same rubric, so they tend to have the same value. However, for maximum flexibility, it would be nice to have a RUBRIC OPTION to record the score as a percentage too. Then you could use rubrics with different point totals that would still have the same value.

You have done a nice job with the weighted averages for assignment groups, but they fall short if you really want to user-friendly and outcome-driven. Alternatively, give us the ability to calculate our own percentages."

My comment on 10/21/2014: We are currently implementing Canvas and this is one of the first types of feedback I received from early users . . .

Original thread:

Quiz and Rubric Option to Record Scores as Percentages : Help Center

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
17 Comments
hvaughn
Community Contributor

I agree - I would love to be able to display quiz grades as percentages instead of points alone.  It would be nice to have a "Display grade As" option for quizzes as exists for graded discussion forums and assignments.

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

I know in our district I have a numerous folks about about this feature as well.  Since a quiz is part of assignments it seems like this should be able to access the grading scheme feature.

sshumway
Community Novice

I would like to have a policy that students need to master each days math topic at 85% or above, so it would be easier to have conditional assignments hing on a percentage.  I would like this feature.

harlow_w
Community Novice

I think the instructor should have the flexibility to display grades however s/he wants. Percentages are much easier to explain to the students; I also enjoy the option in Blackboard which allows me to simply display the percentage as a letter grade. I am just now learning Canvas, and I hope that option exists here. More flexibility for the instructor is better.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png84753_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello All,

If you voted for this idea, you might also consider bookmarking and voting for  

Thanks,

SD

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

The specific guide for this feature in the Quizzes LTI tool is How do I create an assessment using the Quizzes LTI? 

bgoebel
Community Novice

We're using a hybrid Standards Referenced system in Science at the Middle School level. The only way I've found to make our SIS play nice with Canvas Gradebook is to assign % scores for everything we do, then weight as needed, based on DOK in the SIS reporting tool. As a result, I've used Canvas Quiz feature very little. It would be a more useful feature if % was allowed.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
gheadley
Community Novice

Looking forward to getting quizzes.next.  It is confusing to have points in the gradebook when everything else is a percentage.