[Reports] Indicate Cross-Listed Courses in Admin Reports

I would like to suggest that when admin reports, like unpublished and unused courses, are run that there is some indication of 1) whether the course is cross-listed, and 2) which course it is cross-listed with.

This idea has been proposed in the past but archived for lack of support (so likely not accessible without being a member of Cold Storage).

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3541?sr=search&searchId=0def8b49-9c2f-4db6-93bc-d5095821d7b5&s...

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6241?sr=search&searchId=9601831b-3886-4b1d-99f3-83a450d76382&s...

The problem we are running in to is that we would like to run these reports to determine which courses are not utilizing Canvas.  If a faculty member teaches multiple sections of a course or lab and has cross-listed these, the sections that were cross-listed show in these reports as unused and unpublished, meaning I need to go back to Canvas and check each one to determine if the reason is due to cross-listing.  There may be other reasons to make this change. If so I would love to hear them!

16 Comments
Nick_Yamagata
Community Participant

We absolutely need some sort of a reverse lookup for cross-listed courses. Our institution allows faculty to manage their own cross-listing at the Canvas level, when an instructor is teaching multiple sections of the same course, for example. While convenient for faculty, it makes searching these courses that much harder on the support side.

I can understand how optimizing course naming could help on that front, however, there is major hesitancy on the faculty end when discussing changing up the naming scheme.

riveras
Community Member

The ability to search for a section SIS ID would be most helpful.  It is difficult to find cross-listed sections.  

clarkld
Community Explorer

I too need a way to pull a report for just cross-listed sections. Just got off with support and was told there isn't a way to do this right now. We need this to happen. 

briddell
Community Participant

I totally agree with Nick in that we need to be able to see a Crosslisted section Indicator from the Canvas Courses page - for Admins, Deans and Program Directors.

"Yes please. It is almost impossible for Deans and Program Directors to follow up on 'unpublished' courses." 

Also, please let us sort by all the fields on the Admin screens. For courses: let us sort on Published, and number of Students,  If there's a column header, there should be a sort opportunity.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme