[Rubrics] Warning Message for Rubrics - Improve Wording

I would like to suggest that Canvas change the wording of this error message:

"Are you sure you want to DELETE this rubric?" to "Are you sure you want to REMOVE this rubric?"

Recently, I attached the wrong rubric to an Assignment. When I clicked on the trash can icon, this warning popped up. What I wanted to do was REMOVE the wrong rubric from the Assignment, not DELETE it. After I did some research, I was relieved to learn that the rubric would, in fact, still exist   

Canvas already employs the term "REMOVE" in terms of Modules. Removing a Page from a Module doesn't mean that the Page ceases to exist. In the same vein, the term "REMOVE" should be used when the instructor chooses not to use a Rubric with an Assignment. The Rubric would still exist. 

To the Canvas Development Team - I really hope that you would consider this simple change in terminology without this "idea" having to have some arbitrary number of "votes." I imagine it would take a programmer just a few minutes to change the wording of this error message to make it consistent with the already established usage of the term "REMOVE." Thank you for your consideration.

5 Comments
James
Community Champion

If there are submissions that have been marked using the rubric, then the clicking the trash can icon and continuing through the prompt actually deletes (renders inaccessible) the rubric assessments for students. Reattaching the same rubric does not bring them back. Canvas gives this warning "You've already rated students with this rubric. Any major changes could affect their assessment results."

If there are no submissions, then there are no ratings to delete, so remove may be a better word in that case.

I question whether most people would pick up on the difference between delete and remove, though. Until I started researching to respond to this post, they were synonymous to me. I had the same issue as you when removing items from the modules the first time -- would it delete the content as well? I like attach and detach or associate and disassociate better than add and delete. However, I'm not sure that most people think the way that I do. I will admit that none of those bring the gravity that delete does.

Instead of a single word change, perhaps this is a case where a lengthier explanation, rather than just a simple confirmation, might be better?

Would you like to remove the rubric from this assignment? The rubric will still exist and can be used in other places, but any ratings for this assignment will be lost and cannot be recovered.

There is another problem with the rubrics that may play out here. If you have attached a rubric to multiple assignments, you cannot edit the rubric until you delete it from all but one of the assignments. People get confused by the use of the word delete there, as well.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

James - Great point about "remove" and "delete."  I'm a regular on the FB group "Teachers Using Canvas," and many instructors are confused by the term "remove." They assume it means "delete." I've explained the distinction countless times.

I really like the idea of using the terms "attach" and "detach" for already existing rubrics. 

When one is creating a rubric within an assignment and then clicks on the trash can, I believe that the rubric will actually be "deleted." The draft rubric won't be saved, which, of course, is fine.   

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme