Screen Capture on Chromebooks via Studio (Arc)

Many school districts offer Chromebooks to students, our included. And one way that many teachers collect evidence of student learning is by having the students record what is on their screens - presentations, solving math problems, scores from formative assessment tools, digital source collection, and so on.

As a result, students cannot currently screen capture their Chromebooks via Studio since the recording software is the professional version of ScreenCastOMatic, which runs a .exe file, which cannot be run on Chromebooks. 

I propose that the developers at Canvas work with the developers at ScreenCastOMatic in creating a Chromebook-friendly way to screen capture. Sure, the students could just use a 3rd party tool like ScreenCasitfy, a nifty and robust Chrome extension. But if we are trying to keep our students engaged in Canvas and maximize the features of Studio, then a Chromebook-friendly method of screen capturing needs to be created.

Thank you for reading and I hope you vote positively vote for this Canvas enhancement.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Studio Release Notes (2021-03-30).

54 Comments
KLIKAVA
Community Novice

It's important that our students have the ability to record their screens using their Chromebooks. Presentations are an important way for students to demonstrate learning, and the presentations that combine screen recordings and student narratives are excellent assessments of student understanding. Please make this happen in Canvas!

ramseysu
Community Novice

Please, please, please make screencapture an integrated function for chromebooks. It would be extremely useful. 

dawsonch
Community Novice

I would LOVE the screen recorder to be available on Chromebooks! My son cannot type yet, so that would be a great way for him to communicate answers. Also, I had a student with a broken finger, so typing was too difficult at times. Please consider!

De_Vinney
Community Member

Please add this essential feature.

johnstma
Community Novice

Please do this, it would be vital for a better use of Canvas with middle school students 

campanka
Community Novice

This would simplify the interface soo much!   Please add

TracyEccles
Community Member

Chromebook-ready screen capture is a necessary feature. All of our district students use district-assigned Chromebooks. The addition of a screen capture feature will increase student engagement while allowing them to share work, capture presentations, etc. Our students need this right now.

TH61
Community Novice

All of our students use Chromebooks. This feature would be important for all our students, but especially for the younger students who can't type as well or for those students who are reluctant to write or have trouble spelling.

thompski
Community Member

Yes, our students need this!  Elementary school students don't need yet another app to learn how to use.  It needs to be all in one place.

Oliversa
Community Member

To facilitate hybrid and virtual learning, there has to be a way for kids to utilize their chromebooks to record in studio??? I mean not all kids have phones to use and this is an issue of digital equity. Teachers are making them record speeches, presentations etc. and our whole district has chromebooks. Is there anything at least in Beta we can play with?