Set decimal places displayed in the Gradebook total column

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...

While the Canvas Gradebook does display out to the second decimal place (hundredths) when you hover over a score in the total column, the default display is rounded to the nearest tenth. Depending on how instructors prefer to round student scores, this "pre-rounding" could artificially inflate grades.

For example:

• A student has a 95.45%
  • Canvas Gradebook displays this as 95.5%
  • If the instructor rounds to the nearest point, the student would be rounded up to a 96%
  • If the Canvas Gradebook had shown out the second decimal place, the student would still only receive a 95%

While an instructor can download the Gradebook and see out to the hundredths in the "Current Points" and "Final Points" columns, this still buries important information a layer deeper than need be.

It would be ideal if Canvas gave the instructor the ability to set how many decimal places the Grade Book displays.

Response from Instructure  Learn more about voting...

More information on this feature can be found at Canvas Studio: Two decimals in the total column

The resolution can be found in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-07-18)

Weighted Assignment Group Rounding

When the final grade is weighted based on assignment groups, the Gradebook summary column is rounded to two decimal places.

Explanation: When an instructor enabled weighted assignment groups, the total column rounded to only one decimal place. This behavior occurred because the column was not coded to round with the weighted setting enabled. Canvas code has been updated to round to two decimal places regardless of the weighted assignment group setting.

13 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nbrown2​, have you seen this yet?  This is in development.  Canvas Studio: Two decimals in the total column

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea submission is being marked as archived because this feature is already in development Canvas Studio: Two decimals in the total column​ (as  @Chris_Hofer ​ already mentioned)

nbrown2
Community Member

Awesome! And, thank you,  @Chris_Hofer  and  @biray ​.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

More information on this feature can be found at Canvas Studio: Two decimals in the total column

The resolution can be found in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-07-18)

Weighted Assignment Group Rounding

When the final grade is weighted based on assignment groups, the Gradebook summary column is rounded to two decimal places.

Explanation: When an instructor enabled weighted assignment groups, the total column rounded to only one decimal place. This behavior occurred because the column was not coded to round with the weighted setting enabled. Canvas code has been updated to round to two decimal places regardless of the weighted assignment group setting.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Additional work has been done to show two decimal places in the student grades page for instructors and students.

Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-07-27)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Now in Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-08-08)

Grades

Total Column Decimals

anunziante
Community Novice

Hello

New Canvas School here...

While this is a great feature it does not help me when I sync my grade books into Powerschool.

Example: Students final grade is 86.5 In Canvas a grade value of 86 to 87 is a B so my student grade is a B

When the individual grades post to Powerschool they average to 87 or B+ because in Powerschool we have the Rounding set to 0 decimal.

This is a problem for us since there could be a misunderstanding of what the actual grade is.

This is only a problem for the border line grades.

We set up all of the grade scales and the teacher set up properly the group averages.

I would like to have the option to set how many decimal I can have for my final grade.

Thank you

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-03-21) have an update to this feature.

Individual View Final Grade Decimal Places

In the Gradebook, Individual View shows two decimal places for a student’s final grade. This change helps improve consistency with rounding in the Gradebook.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The update to this feature is now in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to nbrown2  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @Chris_Hofer ​ &  @anunziante  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy