[Student Grades] Allow "Calculate based only on Graded Assignment" Default Status to be set by Institution

By default, the "Calculate based only on graded assignments" box is checked for all students in their individual grades view.  In the K-12 arena, this creates much confusion when a student is missing assignments and still appears to have a perfect grade because they did well on early assignments.  While I understand that we can train students and parents to uncheck the box, it would save many headaches and much confusion if as an organization, we could set the default for this box to unchecked and instead train students and parents to check it if they wanted to see their grade that way.  I also understand that teachers could in theory enter zeroes, but in some institutions (like ours) entering zeroes for missing assignments is frowned upon or against policy.

181179_Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-28 at 11.56.12 AM.png

I know some institutions probably like this box, and so I am just proposing an option in the root level settings that would allow institutions to set the value of this check box to either checked or unchecked by default based on their organization's preference (rather than it being set to only checked by default).  Students would still be able to individually check or uncheck the box, but this feature is just proposing that institutions be able to choose the default setting.

Added to Theme

37 Comments
Katie_Wasco
Community Explorer

Is there still a "vote up" button?  I'm logged in but do not see it.  TIA

lthomas-hccfl
Community Member

I've been working in canvas for 18 years and until this semester never ran into this problem; even last summer it worked as it always had.

When I go to the Grade page, I move the totals column to the front so I can compare the totals to the grade spreadsheet that I keep outside.  Gives me a double check and shows me at a glance which students are behind etc.

Until this semester the totals in canvas and the totals in my spreadsheet always matched - unless I keyed something wrong into the spreadsheet.  Now the canvas totals are off.

It seems I have to go into each individual student grades and uncheck a default box that I have never seen before and that doesn't stay unchecked - I have to do it every time I check the totals - for every individual student.  The checkbox is called 'Calculate based only on graded assignments'.

We need to be able to make this a course setting or at the very least, once we uncheck it, it stays unchecked!  This must be a recent change, as I said, just this past summer I did not have this problem checking the totals.

tammi_brandon
Community Explorer

This continues to be an issue for our institution. Students use a screenshot to try and "prove" that they earned a higher grade because they had the Calculate based only on graded assignments box checked. It creates too much confusion and too many heated discussions. 

monica
Community Member

How did this not make it to the developer's to do list? aka not get enough votes? Sad. So desperately needed.

KeithMurfin
Community Explorer

Yes, we have only recently implemented Canvas and this has caused us the most problems of any Canvas feature, as it is very confusing for students. We are working to communicate and educate Teachers to provide 0's for unsubmitted work but having the ability to default the tick box as unticked, would go a long way to solving our issues. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme