[Studio] Disable Canvas Studio Transcript Downloading

Problem statement:

A student with a high AI score in Turnitin shared after inquiring that they had fed the lecture transcripts to AI to generate responses. A second student reported downloading transcripts of my posted Canvas Studio lectures for study purposes, but was not viewing the videos themselves and having difficulty understanding content from transcripts alone because they were not engaging with the visual component. Downloaded transcripts might be shared or posted online, further enabling students to avoid the time spent viewing videos and increasing academic integrity and student comprehension issues.

Proposed solution:

Allow the download video transcript feature to be disabled by instructors to prevent undesired uses of transcripts by students.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer

Added to Theme

3 Comments
AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Hi @bobsahib,

Thank you for posting this idea.

This is something we will work with in the following months as quiz embedded videos would also benefit from controlling this on the instructor side, as per previous feedback.

For that very reason, I added it to the Provide improved Studio quiz functionalities.

Best,

Akos

Navillus
Community Member
Problem statement:

I am a language teacher and I saw that there is an option on the menu to download the transcript of a video I posted. Just like captions I would like to have the option to publish them or not. I use these exercises for listening comprehension assignments, so it defeats the purpose if students can access the transcript.

Proposed solution:

Make the "download transcript" function a function the teacher can turn off if the teacher wishes to.

User role(s):

instructor

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you for the detailed statement @Navillus! This is on our radar as part of the video quiz improvements that we will invest into throughout H2.