[Syllabus] Add Syllabus Page History

We would really like to see the Syllabus page have page history so that instructors who spend hours on it, and then delete it accidentally, can get it back.  Other pages/modules have this feature, but not this page.

Here is text from our most recent support ticket on this:

I simply copied a table and added it to the end of the syllabus at the end of 'attendance' and clicked update.

I'm then taken back to the course main page, and the syllabus is gone. Is it possible to restore the course from an earlier period? This is a major problem and I suspect it may be a technical issue. I'd be the first to admit I screwed up, but it was a simple edit.

We have to explain to this stressed out instructor or admin (and many others before her) that all the time she spent with HTML and CSS making this the best syllabus ever is now a loss. No way to get it back.

Added to Theme

Save Admins Time and Clicks Theme Status: Identified

33 Comments
jwillin
Community Contributor

Hi,

I'm not a software developer but it seems like, given that the functionality already exists for pages, that it wouldn't be too hard to add a history function to the Syllabus page🤷🏽‍♂️

I suspect someone earlier in this thread has already suggested this but....., I encourage instructors, particularly those with heavily-styled syllabi to maintain their own syllabus history by copying and pasting their syllabus edits into an unpublished page. Since the page does have the history feature, each time you paste a new version into that page, you get an archive of the previous versions. 

Thank you,

John Willingham

cfleming
Community Explorer

Although it looks like a Page, I believe that the Syllabus feature was built using the functionality of the "Assignment" section of Canvas, which also does not have the history feature. Maybe the better request here is to request history be added to Assignments.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme