The ability to edit Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

It would be nice to also be able to edit a Global Announcement.  Currently If you mess up, you have to recreate the announcement instead of just going in and editing the misspelled word.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

71 Comments
ropenshaw
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This has been brought up to me several times. It might be nice to have announcements behave similar to a page in Canvas with an edit and publish button. Sometimes it would be helpful to create announcements in advance and just publish or unpublish as needed.

Another request is to give Admins the ability to remove the option for students to delete an announcement saving the hassle of dealing with, "I never saw that" comments. (this can be done with a little bit of CSS work)

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'd really like to see the Page Views show when a student dismisses an announcement.

arovner
Community Contributor

Definitely needed!   Also love the idea of  Preview button as well as Publish/UnPublish.  I always push forward the posting day/time so that I can check it out before it goes live so I can delete it and repost (rather than edit - sigh!) a better version. I also don't understand how global announcements are sorted in the long list under Admin settings.  The order seems random so you always have to scroll through the list to find the one you just posted. 

Thanks for considering!!

A

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm glad it's not just me who can't figure out the order of the older announcements. Smiley Happy

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

There's another request though dealing with course announcements, but some of those items would also be beneficial for the Global Announcement area.

Like the addition of statuses or categories on the Announcement Page. For example:

• Published / Live / Visible
  • Delayed / Unpublished (for those announcements that have a delayed posting date set)
  • Archived (for announcements that have been posted and are past their end date)

Also, the ability to collapse an announcement so that all that is seen is title and dates.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

This is very much needed as well as the ability to collapse announcements and reuse announcements.

cindy_overton
Community Member

This would be fantastic.  I do not know how many times (how embarrassing) I have had to start again for broken links and other things that were just not quite right.  A preview button would also be very helpful.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Because the target audience for this feature idea consists of people who can create global announcements, I thought this would be a good spot to call attention to this associated feature idea-- --that will open for voting on August 5, 2015.

tim_hass
Community Novice

Thanks stefaniesanders​ I see how voting works now..Smiley Happy

Idea for Global Announcements Open-ended End Date

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2408

Community Novice

Another vote here! It drives me nuts to have to create global announcements in something like Word, then go into the Beta or Test sites to try them out...

In fact, I'd love a DRAFT FEATURE for global announcements!

--Kathy Brooks, SPSCC