The ability to edit Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

It would be nice to also be able to edit a Global Announcement.  Currently If you mess up, you have to recreate the announcement instead of just going in and editing the misspelled word.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

71 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Just to clarify this change in status to "completed". It's not actually on anyone's live instance yet, correct? It's coming during this weekend's update? You're just "completing" it early?

(I just double checked, because I have to post a campus-wide announcement and it would be awesome if it was there... and it's not on my production system yet.)

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Susan:

It will be deployed to production as part of the 4/2/16 Production Release - yes, this Saturday.

You can learn more@Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

I hope this helps,

KLM

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I am aware that it is listed in both the BETA release notes and the PRODUCTION release notes to be released on 4/2 (but today is 3/29). However, that release has not happened yet. It is in the future. Meaning that this has not been deployed but has been marked as completed. And while I so hope it stays in the Release (because I really want this function and support it) it is not unheard of for items to be removed from a release. I would have expected this item to be marked completed once it was actually sitting on everyone's production systems (on 4/2 or 4/3).

What if, for some reason, this item gets yanked from the actual release this weekend?

rshirley_teache
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Is the ability to edit Global Announcements in this new release also going to include the HTML view in the RCE? It would be great if the RCE with the HTML view was consistent all throughout Canvas.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

It doesn't appear like an HTML view is part of the release.  sadpanda​

rshirley_teache
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

No worries. Hopefully sometime in the near future we will see it come about. I know a lot of admins who like to make use of an embedded google slide or ppt that can be put into an announcement via the HTML view wherein they can simply update/edit the google slide via an office secretary as needed to reflect current announcements in the Canvas Global Announcement. It's pretty handy.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That would be awesome, Robb!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Susan.

We always mark ideas completed in correlation with the production release notes.  The status change draws attention to the idea and notifies followers/commenters that the change is coming in the Saturday update!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Robb:

I agree with Chris - Awesome!

What would be even more awesomeness, would be to include the RCE/HTE in every field in Canvas where text can be created. I, and many others, would find this particularly useful in submission comments to provide detailed, meaningful feedback individually to students.

KLM