[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

350 Comments
EricamaeHermosa
Community Novice

This feature will be great for students who have migraines, frequent headaches, and stimulation issues. Dark mode allows the eyes to rest and allows users to navigate through their courses and reading through written modules easier and more comfortable. 

KailynnHall
Community Member

I get constant migraines, especially when staring at screens all day. I've tried blue light glasses, turning the brightness down, noting helps. I know I'm not the first one to ask for this, but if a dark mode could be developed, that would be so helpful. Doing assignments at on a computer is hard enough. But then I have this white glare that is so headache-inducing. If this could be done I know myself and others would greatly appreciate it.

HeatherJaze
Community Novice

I suggest to have a version of the website that is easier on the eyes. Other websites call it "dark mode" and personally I use it on everything that provides it. 

rperez52
Community Member

Great idea!

clondono1
Community Member

As a student and an Instructional Designer, I have hoped for this feature for many years. At one point even turned to an extension to try to get some semblance of this option(not a great or even good option). Please bring this option to us. 

SoloPlanty
Community Novice

As a college student (though I know many high schoolers also experience this) who work late into the evening, a dark mode would be fantastic to reduce the strain of the massive white backgrounds of the canvas—especially those of us who have larger screens and inadequate lighting.

This feature would allow me to focus better on the content rather than the pain we feel while working through the night.

JosephP98
Community Novice

That's it that's the post. Make the app dark, its prettier, more comfortable, and easier to read.

icehorse
Community Member

Adding a dark mode would make the website more accessible and easier on the eyes. Basically, the background would be black or a darker color than white, and would use less power and be more eco friendly, while also being easier on the eyes.

LukeBennage
Community Novice

Can we get a dark mode? All the white screens hurts my eyes.

dre_277
Community Novice

One feature I would love to see is an integrated dark mode on the Canvas website as well as the Canvas mobile app. I saw a previous post about this and wanted this feature myself. For some people dark mode looks better aesthetically and for others dark mode helps when working on homework at night time so their eyes don't hurt from the bright white default screen. I think this feature would truly be beneficial.