[To Do] "To Do" Grade Number Match Submissions for Group Projects

When an instructor creates a group project and students start submitting, the To-Do area shows that the instructor needs to grade X number of submissions based off the number of students represented in the groups instead of the actual number of submissions. 

For example, a class of 30 students broken into 6 groups of 5.  When 2 groups, submit, it shows the instructor needs to grade 10 projects instead of 2.  I understand that the 2 submissions represents 10 students but it would be nice for it to reflect actual submissions (which is only 2) since the instructor did not choose to "grade students individually".

9 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @nwilson7 -

Thanks for sharing this Idea. It definitely sounds like the number of submissions should be the number of items to grade, not the number of students associated with the submissions.

Have you collaborated with Support on this, by chance? I wonder if you've identified a bug or if this functions as intended. Either way, let us know and we'll proceed with the Feature Idea Process.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @nwilson7 -

I wanted to check in! How are things going? Were you able to connect with Support? I'm interested in learning more about what they were able to see from their perspective! If you've confirmed that this is an Idea request, I want to be sure to change its status to Open soon. I look forward to collaborating!

nwilson7
Community Champion

@KristinL I have tested as different people but not checked with support yet.  Honestly I forgot about it.  I will try and reach out this week.

-Nick

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @nwilson7 - I wanted to say "hi" and see how things are progressing with this request. Would you like us to keep it in Moderating stage a little longer?

nwilson7
Community Champion

@KristinL I never did check with support but am happy to.  I have confirmed it is still an issue though.  The little number indicates individual students that make up the group and not the number of groups. 

For a super simple example, if you had a class with 4 students and broke them into 2 groups of 2, when 1 student (1 group) submits, it will show that you have 2 to grade.  Initially an instructor would see "2" and think both groups have submitted but really the 2 is from 1 group of 2 students having submitted it.  This causes lots of confusion when both finally submit as it says there are 4 submissions to grade when you really only have 2.

-Nick

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @nwilson7 -

I'll open this, but if you find that you identified a bug rather than needing a new Idea, please let the Community know (and @mention me, if you can!)

nwilson7
Community Champion

@KristinL I spoke with support and this is not a bug.  It comes from "when students submit on a group assignment, each of them gets an individual submission object created."  So, I guess that means this still needs to be a feature request.

nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme