Two Part Quiz Questions

I was thinking it would be neat if quiz questions could have more than one part.

For example, students could answer a multiple choice question and then provide the rationale for their selection in a text box. When doing this in the current iteration of Canvas, you must put the multiple choice question and text box in separate questions that are numbered Question 1 and Question 2, which might be confusing to students. Saving them as separate questions would also be difficult to manage in Question Banks.

Thanks for your consideration!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The stimulus content type in New Quizzes accommodates multi-part questions. For more information, please refer to the comment below

25 Comments
jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Team,

Just a quick update...  We are looking at longer-term solutions for the issue described here. We may not be able to include this into our roadmap for Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ right away; however, I will keep this one in my back pocket for potential inclusion.  For now, I will archive this idea.

Thank you,

Jason

sjohnson1
Community Novice

I just started running into this issue. I searched on What Is a Group and similar strings and couldn't find an answer to the real question that I have, which you have so well expressed. We have instructors who want to use images or longer passages of text or tell a story and have students answer a series of related questions, which is what they have to do on most standardized tests. Does anyone have any good workarounds?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stateofstephani ​, as long as you simply want to present a passage (or image) and then have the student answer a series of questions related to that passage, you can place the passage or image in a "Text (no question)" question type, and then place the questions directly underneath--and perhaps for additional clarity, put a prompt in the Text (no question) field that they will be answering X number of questions, and a similar prompt in each succeeding question that tells the student that the question relates to that passage. If you employ this workaround, you will want to make sure (1) not to deliver the questions one at a time (2) not to shuffle the questions by placing them in question groups. Either of these will destroy the flow of the questions relative to the passage.

sjohnson1
Community Novice

stefaniesanders​ -- Thanks so much! This is a good strategy for some of the question types and I think I'll combine some of the others into matching or some other quiz format. Thanks also for the cautions about using the Quiz Groups--these were not what I was expecting them to be.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

sarahm_ashley
Community Novice

In addition to a text box for Part B, I would add ALL the same answer types should be available for Part B. On our standardized testing students often have a variety of answer types in Part B, beyond written short answer or multiple choice. Ex: In a paragraph, they are choosing ALL the sentences that support the answer to Part A, so multi-select answer.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

I totally agree, Kristina. For example, in a physics test, the answer entered in one question is based on the answer to the question that precedes it.

Two-Part Physics Problem

Having two-part questions is another critical point in New Quizzes. Question 3 should be marked incorrect because 343 m/s divided by 1,024 Hz does not equal to 0.328. Since the formula for the wavelength is λ = v/f, where v is the speed of sound (343 m/s in this case), and f is the frequency in hertz (1,024 Hz in this case), the correct answer should be 0.335.

krissywilson
Community Member
Status changed to: Open

ShanellBates
Community Member

Please include a feature in quizzes that allows teachers to create 2-part questions that look like our state tests.