Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
amy_hasinoff
Community Participant

Please fix this. I teach on media topics and the ability for each student to easily add an image into their posts is so important. Attaching is not a good solution since it's too cumbersome to click and download each attachment. I want students to be able to scroll through 30 posts, each with one image, and easily pick which one they want to comment on.

Though it's possible for them to upload to Canvas Files and then embed, this is far too many steps for something that should be easy. Many get frustrated and give up.

RhondaB
Community Explorer

Is there any word on this? Students need the ability to embed images from their computers.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@RhondaB ​, I've voted for this and agree that students need an easy way to do this, but I also wanted to make sure you (and others who might view this feature idea) realize there is a way for students to do this, it's just not easy (and in fact is relatively complicated for some students).

Direction:

1. Click on your profile picture (Account) on the left side of Canvas (new UI)

2. Click on the Files

3. Click on the blue Upload button in the upper right corner of the screen

4. Browse through your computer files to select your photo(s) (image file type: .jpg or .png, for example)

5. Navigate back to the course you want to add the picture to, and then to the discussion in which you are going to post

6. Click on Reply to start a new post

7. Click on the Embed Image icon (little tree)

8. Click on the Canvas tab and then on My Files (or to the specific folder to which you uploaded your photo)

9. Find your photo and click on it (enter dimensions for the photo or you can resize it later and before you click Post Reply)

10. Click the blue Update button at the lower left

11. Done!

Also, Scott Dennis has made a screencast of the steps for those who prefer watching instead of reading the directions.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@RhondaB , I voted for this as well (and frankly, I've been advocating for it since we first piloted Canvas years ago). In the meantime, because it comes up so often I created a compilation of tutorials in the Higher Education​ group: How students upload images into their discussion posts

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@RhondaB ​

I also voted this one up, and like Stefanie, have wanted this feature for years. As you noted from Kona's posting, this is not an easy nor intuitive process for students or faculty, and I have always advocated for the KISS principle for online learning - I hate when the technology gets in the way of the learning!

Let's hope this boat floats this time around!

KLM

RhondaB
Community Explorer

Thank you, Kona. This is way more complicated than one would hope. I sure hope they get a better solution in place!

RhondaB
Community Explorer

Thank you, Stefanie. Great resource!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Agree totally! I have my students add pictures to a few discussions and all of them (eventually) are able to do it, but it would be great it if was a simplified process (like click one button from the discussion and upload your picture!).

jlvaughn
Community Novice

This is essential! The current system is not user-friendly or intuitive for the students (or Instructors, for that matter). Embedding an image directly to a post is the most direct and logical way to share images.

jlvaughn
Community Novice

I know I already commented on this, but I just noticed something. Perhaps it isn't quite the same code, but it seems that Canvas is already doing what we are asking for (easy embedding of an image) in these very discussion posts. In this editing window I am using right now the embed image button brings up the best and most simple form of what I would want:

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 8.41.30 AM.png

In fact, this is much preferred over the way the same button works in a course as an Instructor. Or the way you have to use the right hand sidebar to locate your files/images as an Instructor.

Just saying...