Warning when submitting quiz (not based on timing)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now, if a student has answered all the questions and still has time, they can click submit and Canvas instantly submits the quiz. There is no warning "Are you sure you want to submit this quiz?" This means that if a quiz has only one attempt, and a student clicks submit (whether on purpose or by accident) the quiz is submitted. There is no warning option in case the student really wasn't ready.

I don't see any "ideas" about that only about warnings for running out of time. I really think any quiz needs to have a warning on submission regardless of whether the questions are all answered or not, or there is still time left, or if multiple attempts are allowed. Please put a simple warning that the user is about to do something they can't take back.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
22 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I just went in and tested this aspect of Canvas to be certain.  As a student I began a quiz that had a 30 minute time limit. After completing two of the six questions in the quiz I hit submit and saw this warning:

Screenshot 2015-10-06 12.44.47.png

I hit "Cancel" and continued working.  After I completed all six questions, with 27 minutes left to spare, I again hit the submit button.  My quiz submission was filed without me seeing a warning about still having time to spare.

I know that  @kbishop ​ and  @RobDitto ​ voted for or commented on similar but distinct ideas in previous voting cycles.

purreni
Community Novice

Yes, part of the problem is the warnings are based on either time about to run out OR

questions left unanswered. If you answer all the questions and there is plenty of time

left or if it is not a timed quiz, then you get no warning. Most other systems I have

used, give at least one warning that "you are about to submit" the quiz "are you sure you

want to do this?". This feature will help prevent accidental clicks on a submit button

that once clicked, can not be undone.

Ingrid

>>> On 10/6/2015 at 2:50 PM, in message

<105-24104-3-2011-1444157351632.jive.jivemailuser@https://community.canvaslms.com>,

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among your community peers, from Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

sopkojn
Community Novice

I believe that the issue most presents itself when the test taker has answered all questions but still wants to REVIEW their answers.  One of my favorite features of taking an exam through Canvas is the "flag" feature which allows me to identify "problematic" questions and to take another look at it before submitting the test.  However, because the "Submit Quiz" and "Next Question" buttons are the same color and next to each other, one could mistakenly SUBMIT the quiz before getting a chance to review it and potentially change an answer or two.

I, for one, would GREATLY appreciate this feature being added to the Canvas app.  Although I have yet to make this mistake (*knock on wood*) it's easy to see how it can be very problematic.

purreni
Community Novice

Excellent point, Jennifer. I specifically changed the format to show all questions rather

than one question at a time because the next button was right next to the submit button. I

also love the option to flag questions. But it is very easy for someone who has answered

all the questions but wants to review, to accidentally click submit, and then not have any

recourse.

Ingrid

>>> On 10/8/2015 at 11:53 AM, in message

<105-24759-3-36121-1444271871104.jive.jivemailuser@https://community.canvaslms.com>,

jazemlya
Community Contributor

This is midterm week at our institution and we just ran into this issue in a large course of over 2k students taking their midterm exams.  Many students wanted to go back and review certain questions but instead clicked submit as they were in the flow of a 50 question exam.  So they all lost their chance to review prior questions as they got no warning they were about to submit.  The exams are one time only over a set one hour window of class so students missed out on reviewing and changing their answers.

I think this feature should be on any quiz that only allows for one submission and is much more user friendly.

Justin

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Perhaps add a confirmation pop up such as: yes I am finished with the quiz and wish my answers to be submitted for grading.  Or something less wordy.

A useful workaround involves adding a final question asking students to confirm they are finished and are ready to their responses graded.  I've used this previously and it was quite helpful.  Oh, yes it was zero points.  ;o)

matthew_daly
Community Novice

It would be excellent if the message was customizable by the teacher, perhaps for a class that needs to be asked if they have reviewed their work in a certain way etc.

hyw543
Community Novice

I definitely did have this problem. I was expecting a "review your answers" page to pop up after pressing the submit quiz button, since no other buttons seems to prompt a "review your answer" page. As a result I lost 10 marks on my quiz. Of course I was frustrated about this, as it goes towards my final results.

hyw543
Community Novice

Shouldn't the end time should be in 2016 not 2015?