Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
swintz
Community Novice

Yes, please, please, please!   We've been waiting for this for a long time.   And yes, I agree with Heather it would be great to have in both discussion forums and text box feature of assignments.

Thanks.

Sue

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I know that this one has been marked 'In Development' for a long time, but I can tell you that it really still is in development.

hrutherford
Community Explorer

Yes, I would like to know that too! I'm ready for voting and to hopefully get this feature prior to the next academic year when course building occurs in July.  Our assessment process is making it necessary for the ease of word counting not only for students, but also faculty who are completing the assessment process.

hrutherford
Community Explorer

Thanks Sue!

josh_thomas
Community Novice

Anxiously waiting!

mcohen
Community Explorer

Ok.  so, it's "in production." We were told last Fall that they hoped to have it ready but now we are going to have to wait until this Fall, maybe!!! I would bang my head on my desk but what's the point.  That's Instructure.....

hrutherford
Community Explorer

I believe that I have voted on this idea.  It would be a great feature, but I'm not fully sure how all of this voting and moving things through the system actually works. And IF it actually works.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Heather,

If you are interested, you can learn more in How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

When we implement an idea that began life as a community suggestion, you will see little notes to that effect in the Canvas Release Notes​.  Sometimes (like in this case) it seems like nothing is happening because something moves into development and then nothing new is posted in the feature forums or panda briefs for a long times.  This can mean that work has been done but we have to wait until something else is completed before we can release the update as many things in the background affect many others.

jen
Community Contributor

I would like to add that we need a MAXIMUM word count feature on text boxes to limit responses to a certain length.

I don't know if this would be part of the same feature or a separate one.

Thanks!

hrutherford
Community Explorer

I would hope that it would be part of the same feature.