Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @jen ​,

Not to detract from your comment or stated need but just to be clear; that would need to be a separately built feature for sure.

jen
Community Contributor

Thanks, Scott. I submitted it as a new request here:

jonathan_carlyo
Community Novice

Dear Group,

I am leading a group to Spain to take a class while walking along the Camino de Santiago. They will need to do numerous activities on their phones using the CANVAS web app. For these, I am assigning word-counts as the delimiter, e.g., write 150 words on X,Y, or Z. I am particularly interested in this feature for the app.

It would be GREAT to have a reference to the word count for the students to see while they are typing, like Twitter, but for word instead of characters. Or perhaps there is an App workaround similar to those bxf13b suggests.

Thanks!

Jonathan

steven_pounders
Community Member

Good to hear this is in process. I am teaching a study abroad course with students submitting essays via text entry. The only way to gauge the length of the assignment is by requiring a minimum/maximum word count. It  would be enormously helpful if students could see a running word count as they use the text entry box, and for instructors to see a word count on text entries in the speedgrader.

rlbrown21
Community Participant

Is there an updates on a release date?  This is yet another "feature" missing from the discussions that could make them useful for instruction and grading.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Sue,

Just an FYI; this feature really is still in development.  It has progressed since we last updated this thread.  We really are still working on implementing this.  Sorry for the delays.

stephent
Community Novice

In my case I would prefer a word count tool in speed grader that would tell me how many words are in an uploaded .docx file.  I am also using Turnitin, if that adds another layer of complexity.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stephent ​, doesn't using Turnitin actually simplify matters for you? I am required to confirm that students have successfully completed X number of words every semester, and I use Submission Information button that appears at the bottom left of the Turnitin screen to do that, as described in Turnitin's documentation: Similarity Check - Guides.turnitin.com

stephent
Community Novice

That doesn't help me in the speed grader, or perhaps I am missing something.  I don't want to have to go back and forth between the speed grader and turnitin for each paper.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Oh, I see,  @stephent ​. It's not an issue for me since I use GradeMark to annotate in Turnitin, so I'm back and forth between SpeedGrader and Turnitin for every submission.