iOS Canvas Student Course View

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please revert back to the view with 2 courses side by side….the new update only has one course which forces students to scroll through a list to see courses 3-8. 

27 Comments
TheTherapist
Community Novice

You changed the way the subjects show up on the canvas app (for iPad). It’s way more cumbersome and a lot harder to use. I have to scroll to see all of my grades on the app. It was so much better the way it was. I have no idea what the benefits to doing that are. I humbly request that you change it back to the subjects being smaller (on dashboard).

SHANNONCERMAK
Community Novice

Hello,

The current dashboard is now in big horizontal boxes that are inconvenient to scroll past and excessively sized. If you could please add the option to change it back to the original smaller boxes that would be greatly appreciated. - student

MaryThomas1
Community Member

Completely agree with the statements about changing the mobile app dashboard view BACK to the way it was (card view, two columns). This new horizontal stacking takes much more scrolling to get to the course you want, when before you could just tap on the course you wanted. New version is very cumbersome for students, and for those of us who are teacher/designer on more than just two or three courses.

AubrieKnopick
Community Novice

Good morning Instructure! I am writing this to you to suggest a layout change on the app. I believe that the subjects would look more appealing if they were all displayed on the same screen; perhaps in small squares. I find this layout far more appealing than the large “rectangles” that are currently displayed. It is a bear to scroll down to observe all courses, and their respective grades. Furthermore, it is a large inconvenience to quickly access the course modules. If there is an incessant need to rapidly consume knowledge, scrolling to find a course is not what one wants. 

Overall, I strongly recommend for there to be a feature in setting where the consumer is able to choose the layout of the courses. That way the small square people will be joyous, and the large rectangle people will be mirthful. 

Rate Canvas: 4/5 stars.

New Course Style Update: 2/5

VictoriaLebioda
Community Novice

I also agree about the steamers that were made. The update that was made has made it a lot harder for me (a student) to look at all of my classes and grades at once. On computer you can change it by pressing the 3 dots on the top right of your screen but on mobile you can’t do that. I think that the option to change it on mobile will be very beneficial to people who want the card or list view for canvas. 

Thanks

new update: 1/5

Brewers1
Community Member

I agree with multiple people commenting in here. After the new update showing only one class per line I would like the option of reverting it back to the old view. I feel the new look is cumbersome and would like to be able to see all grades/classes at once.

np616
Community Novice

The Canvas app for mobile devices used to show the courses in square tiles that only took up half the screen. Now the app has course tiles that are rectangular and take up the entire length of the screen. The square tiles made it easier to view all your courses in one glance. The rectangular tiles are an inconvenience because you have to scroll to view all your course. Please bring back the squares, or at least give users an option between squares and rectangles.

JM88
Community Member

I’d like to reiterate what the others said - this new format is really throwing me off. I need to be able to see all classes in one screen. I hope this is resolved ASAP. At the very least, make precious format available as an option in your profile settings. 

Martieo
Community Member

I would also like to put out my desire for this to be changed back/ have an option to pick the layout. This new layout makes it harder to get a quick glance at your grades which is what I, and it sounds like many others, used the mobile dashboard for. This update has made it easier to use the desktop application than to just pull out my phone. Mine only changed last night and I instantly went online to try and find a solution to revert it back. Please give us the option. 

LeanneWilliams
Community Novice

The display on the mobile app would be better if the squares return instead of the rectangular look that it currently have on the new update.