Academic Integrity

Jump to solution
jbelliotti
Community Explorer

Why is it suggested not to use logs as confirmation of cheating?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jbelliotti Canvas Quiz logs are not designed or intended for that purpose. Please review the information in the blue box of  How do I view a quiz log for a student?

View solution in original post

gnoack
Community Champion

HI @hesspe and @jbelliotti 

In my practical experience, the only important thing the log can tell you related to academic honesty is when a student clicked away from the web browser.  There could be many reasons for this, such as clicking the taskbar by accident, clicking another tab (again, maybe by accident), or perhaps a notification appeared on their device and they clicked to close it.  There are so many reasons that log notice could be triggered I don't think it would be fair to judge a student's performance by it.  So, the log is more useful for understanding how a student progressed through the quiz, or to verify other activities that might have happened. 

If you want a true understanding of what students are viewing you'd need software designed to do this, these are called online test proctoring and some examples include HonorLock, Lockdown Browser, or ProctorU. 

I hope that helps. 

View solution in original post