Accessing Beta from a Free for Teachers Account

Jump to solution
AmyM62
Community Member

Hi- I accidentally overwrote an exam with an exam of the same name that my students took but I haven't graded yet.  Their responses are not showing up in the imported test, they aren't even listed as being assigned this exam. I know that the Beta environment might allow me to see the version before I overwrote the exam. Is there any way to get into Beta from a Free for Teachers account? Many thanks!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach
0 Likes
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

@AmyM62 You may not need to access the beta instance to recover your students' work on the exam.  Since you state that the exam isn't assigned to them, you most likely can recover their work by editing the exam and assigning it to "Everyone".  Even if the content of a quiz is overwritten by an import, any existing submissions will not be overwritten, so you should be able to those submissions for the exam still--though grading might be off if the points changed as a result of the quiz being overwritten.  Secondly, you may not have overwritten the original exam but instead created a duplicate version with the same name.  Canvas doesn't identify content by its name, but by the Canvas assigned id for the item, and it would only overwrite a quiz if the quiz had been imported into the course from another Canvas course previously and then reimported from the same course again.

View solution in original post