cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JH1213

Admins "Acting as"

Jump to solution

Grades input to a class manually will have the instructor's name when you view the Gradebook History as a "Grader".  Items "auto graded" do not.

If an Administrator goes into a class "Acting As" the teacher, how does the Gradebook History label this?  As the Teacher... or the Admin... if a score has been changed while "Acting As"?

I'm not an Administrator and don't have the "Acting As" feature to test this myself, thus the question.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

It will show as the user the administrator is acting on behalf of.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bbennett2
Community Champion

It will show as the user the administrator is acting on behalf of.

Thank you for the reply,

Is there a trail outside the class that would show this occurred? 

I mean what if there was an integrity issue with said Administrator using "Acting As" and changing grades for students? 

Is there a trail within Canvas that shows what an Administrator is doing?

If there isn't... why not?  I think there definitely needs to be.

0 Kudos
chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @JH1213,

As far as I know, there is a trail left behind of the actual user who took actions.  It's not visible in the UI, but I believe Canvas support can see it on the back end, and I also think it would be available in the Canvas Data platform as well (but I am not positive).

-Chris

0 Kudos
bbennett2
Community Champion

I did some testing this morning and the internal logs show the user you're acting as for actions. I know the API returns a "acting_as" key, so if you're making calls directly, you can see who did what. But the UI, even on the admin side, doesn't show if it was a masquerade user or the user directly. Reiterating what @chriscas said, if you have a major incident you're investigating, you should reach out to Canvas Support to get more detailed logs.

0 Kudos