Annotating over Embedded Images

Jump to solution
jenniferhudson
Community Member

I'm teaching a Drawing 1 course and I use discussion boards for critique. Each student embeds the image of their drawing into their post, then we can all see and comment (vs uploading as an assignment that only myself and the 1 student can see). I would like to be able to annotate/draw over their embedded image when I am grading in speedgrader; however, I seem to be unable to download the images or use the annotation feature as the images are not uploaded files. Is there anyway to annotate/draw over embedded images from a discussion board in speedgrader??

**As a work around, I am copying the image, pasting it into a Photoshop file, annotating, saving the file, and uploading it in speedgrader so the student can see my corrections to their drawing, but it's a time suck and I figure there's got to be a better way to do this and I'm just missing it.  

Thanks in advance for any help!!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jenniferhudson ...

I tested this out in my own Canvas sandbox course, and I was also unable to annotate embedded images in discussion posts via the SpeedGrader.  My guess for this is because discussions do not display with the DocViewer in SpeedGrader...compared to regular MS Word/PDF file attachments to assignments where those annotation tools are available.  So, your work-around of doing annotations "offline" and then re-uploading them as attachments seems to be the best option, IMHO.

I hope this helps...even though it might not be the answer you were hoping for.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this.  Be well, stay safe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes