Best way to NOT have to cross list but to assign groups or group set to different course content.

KeithBlakeslee
Community Member

Context: 

I run a large scale apprenticeship with hundreds of users. Since i took over, ive essentially been doing what was thought to me.... copy a canvas course and assign people to it whenever i needed a new course. And i run 4 courses 4 times a year which equals 16 courses and alot of data entry, back and forth, and clicks. 

Problem:

Ive imported all course content from the 4 classes into one course (to just have one "box" to manage for the year) but i have apprentices running in parallel on different time lines and want to assign quizzes to some and quizzes to others (i don't want to assign everything to everyone). 

Not understanding "groups" i thought i could assign quizzes per group allowing each group to be assigned individually but i cannot. So i added a section using Canvas' guide but it does not populate under "people".

It would be best if we could assign course work using "groups" and "group sets" and avoid "sections" because sections does not populate the same way groups does. 

I also want to avoid cross listing courses. 

Does anyone have a potential solution for me to have one "course" with multiple groups of people that i can assign assignments differently to each group? 

I want to limit SIS imports and apprentices in multiple locations but need the functionality to filter their grades and assign them quizzes as individual groups and not have to use "everyone" and im stuck with sections not populating.

DEVS: Why can we not drag and drop students from section to section like in groups? Why do we have to cross list "sections" (when sections are also termed "courses" in all of your HELP content? And why is the functionality to assign content to groups not available as ive seen it requested here since 2015!!! 

Labels (3)
0 Likes