Any way to bulk remove all students in a particular section from a course?

Jump to solution
wnewhous
Community Explorer

Good day.

We have a course that is being used as a resource site for students. This means the course has not been assigned to a term and does not have start or end date. In Fall, we enroll each cohort of incoming students into the course as a section (titled with the year of enrollment).

We would like to be able to remove students from the course who have graduated by section (bulk remove). 

I see that we can add an end date to a section, which might be a reasonable short term solution. However, it's unclear if closing a section also removes it from areas of the course where sections can be selected (such as announcements).

For us, the best solution would be to remove these students from the course. Is there a way to accomplish this from within the Canvas course? Or is bulk removal via API our only option?

Thanks so much for any insights you might have!

Bill

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @wnewhous 

Typically admins would accomplish by formatting an Enrollments_CSV and running a sis import to remove the users from the particular course or section. HERE is the guide on how to format the CSV. You can specify things such as the User_ID, section _ID, and status. 

If you are completely deleting a section, you can use API for that. The API call would be DELETE /api/v1/sections/:id I believe. 

I did fine THIS api call (DELETE /api/v1/courses/:course_id/enrollments/:id) which allows you to Conclude, Deactivate, or Delete an enrollment with API. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton

View solution in original post