Any way to drop oldest score in an assignment group? (last score counts)

Jump to solution
WayneXYZ
Community Explorer

I know Canvas can drop the lowest/highest score in an assignment group. Is there any way to have it drop the OLDEST score?

At our institution, all students are allowed two attempts for assignments. The second attempt is voluntary: students can resubmit if they didn't pass on the first time, or if they want to improve their grade. Only the last score counts for their grade, even if it ends up being lower than the initial one.

Ideally, if two or more scores are present within an assignment group, I'd like Canvas to automatically drop the oldest one and calculate grade totals accordingly, based on the latest submission. I know this option doesn't exist, but is anyone aware of a good, uncomplicated way of emulating it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

@WayneXYZ -

Thanks for the clarification.  I understand now exactly what you want, and unfortunately the capability you want is not available.  If it were, each assignment would have to have its own assignment group (the two assignments in each group) so that you could accept the latest submission.

As a possible work around - turn off the late penalty aspect of grading and make the due date for the assignment the first due date and the until date as the time for the second due date.  You would have to clarify to the students what the procedure is with the dates and to ignore the late submission indication.  Then you could have 2 submissions possible for a single assignment and the last submission when graded would be what counts.  Not ideal, but it may work for you - it also depends on the age of the students you are dealing with (and possibly parents if k-12).  

good luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes