Apply a template to all existing classes in a semester?

Jump to solution
KentKersey1
Community Explorer

Can you apply a template to all existing classes in a semester?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
CelestialDawnA
Community Explorer

You can make a class be the template that is used when courses are generated (it is subaccount specific rather than semester). Here's a guide about that.

I'm not aware of a way to bulk apply a template to classes that are already generated, though... Maybe a blueprint would work if you could get it applied to the relevant classes, but even then I think instructors would have to select to sync in the changes. I haven't personally messed with Blueprints much, so I don't have great suggestions on it.

Is it the whole course layout/content that needs an update, or is there just some specific content to add to those existing courses? You maybe could try the Canvas Commons and see about teachers importing what they need from there, depending on how big the changes are.

I hope something from here helps or at least helps you find what you need!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BrianLester
Community Contributor

Templating is about the structure of course shells before teachers add content. 

Use of Blueprints is a possibility - and syncing is controlled by whoever has permissions for the blueprint not by the teacher(s) of courses associated with the Blueprint. Blueprints also allow certain restrictions on what course teachers can change. It probably makes most sense to set up blueprints in advance of teacher access to courses.

One consideration with both blueprints and templates is repeated use when teachers are importing from courses already based on blueprints or templates - this can lead to cumulative duplication of items.

Canvas Commons as @CelestialDawnA suggests is a useful and simple approach but does require action by teachers

Another approach would be to use the Canvas API. With the API you can change settings, add pages, standardize the course navigation menus etc. This can be done at any stage in the course lifecycle. If your new to using the API and/or coding try asking an AI to create code and test this thoroughly in a Beta or Test instance on sample courses. Have someone who knows the language (python, javascript etc) well check the code. Changes made via API are not generally locked down.

View solution in original post