Are Announcements useless?

Jump to solution
naboznyk
Community Participant

I have been posting Announcements all semester, but I was still receiving emails about something I had already posted an Announcement about. I finally asked a couple of classes about it and most of them were unaware that Announcements were being posted!

A small number of students were receiving notifications on their phones, but even they seemed to indicate that the notifications were sketchy.

So, should I just be sending emails to my students AFTER posting an Announcement and say "check the Announcements page for an important message"?

I thought I might be able to make the Announcements page the Course Home Page, but that is not an option.

If I am missing something, please let me know!

Cheers,

Keith

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi Keith,

You may want to go into your course Settings->Course Details. Scroll to the bottom and open up More options. Make sure "Show recent announcements on Course home page" is checked. You also can change the number of Announcements that show up. That way they will see the Announcements when they log in, no matter what you have set as your home page.

For cell phone alerts (and other) your students need to go into their OWN account settings and set their notification preferences. They may have notifications turned off.

View solution in original post