cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opetersen
Community Member

Assignment not showing up in "add to module" list?

Jump to solution

I am trying to add an assignment from my assignment page into a module. However, it won't show up when I click the plus icon and select "assignments" - it is just not in the list. I logged out and back in, unpublished and republished the assignment, refreshed the page, all with no luck. Any advice? 

28 Replies
fmccown
Community Participant

What you describe can be a problem, but in general this is not the problem everyone else is having. I have Canvas open in a single tab. I can do a hard-reload, clear cookies, clear the cache, etc. and there be no effect on what shows up.  Canvas has told my university the problem is their servers are busy processing other work. There's nothing you can do to make their servers speed up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
lopezjamie
Community Participant

I have the same problem. I support several Instructors as an ID. So far, no joy on any of work arounds (in some cases, I think the work-arounds take so much time the problem ":solves" itself). 

I think this definitely deserves a ticket if someone hasn't already done so.

My Instructors have had to wait up to 24 hours for a new Assignment, Discussion or quiz to show up on the list. That seems "unacceptable" to me. 🙂

Grateful for this forum and the Community! Otherwise, I'd think it was me 🙂

rgo877
Community Participant

I don't know how or why this post was marked as "Solution" when it clearly is not a solution to this problem.

Fyi, I learned from Canvas Support today that this is a known issue if you have "too many" assignments in your course. 

What *sometimes* works is to re-open the assignment, make a small change, and then save it.  Then look for the assignment using the Module "+" pulldown. 

That worked for me in one case several weeks ago, but not today.

If it doesn't work, Instructure has no solution except to suggest you do a workaround.  What you'll need to do is create a new assignment *from* the Modules page (so it shows up in the Module).   Then enter the text of the assignment.   If you've already created an assignment that you can't add from the Modules page, copy/paste the text from that assignment into the new one you created from the Module page.

rgo877
Community Participant

I learned from Canvas Support today that this is a known issue if you have "too many" assignments in your course.   I also learned that fixing this is not on the development roadmap, so we will have to live with it until and unless enough of us scream about it.

In the meantime, here's what I have found:

What *sometimes* works is to re-open the assignment, make a small change, and then save it.  Then look for the assignment using the Module "+" pulldown. 

That worked for me in one case several weeks ago, but not today.

If it doesn't work, Instructure has no solution except to suggest you do a workaround.  What you'll need to do is create a new assignment *from* the Modules page (so it shows up in the Module).   Then enter the text of the assignment.   If you've already created an assignment that you can't add from the Modules page, copy/paste the text from that assignment into the new one you created from the Module page.

hshaw1
Community Participant

@RGO Thank you for that update. I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

lopezjamie
Community Participant

Thanks for the update!

I'm starting to wonder about development priorities with Instructure and issue like this, and other conventions we should be expecting from a normal software application, cloud-based or not.

24 Hours...*sigh*

Tags (3)
asoltero823
Community Member

me to been having the same problem and I cant into my assignment 

KTM888
Community Member

Thank you! Changing the name of the assignment after it has been created worked for me. Once I changed it, it immediately showed up in the "add to module" list. 

elhflynn
Community Member

Thanks, but to me having to reload the page is not "quick"! This is my problem. I know I will see the new content in list to add to the module after I refresh, but I don't want to have to refresh.