cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JessicaDay

Assignments with no due dates appearing in Marking Period 4

Jump to solution

Many of my assignments throughout the year did not require a due date.  I also have many imported assignments that I have never actually used that do not have die dates.  These are no appearing in my assignments list when I sort it to Marking Period 4, and also on my students grades for Marking Period 4.  Bulk edit doesn't allow me to set a previous due date to remove them from Marking Period 4.  How to I get them to go away?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
clangley

Do you only have 4 marking periods? If so assignments that don't have a due date are automatically added to the last grading period.

My organization adds an "undated assignments" grading period just in Canvas after the last actual grading period to avoid this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
clangley

Do you only have 4 marking periods? If so assignments that don't have a due date are automatically added to the last grading period.

My organization adds an "undated assignments" grading period just in Canvas after the last actual grading period to avoid this issue.

0 Kudos
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JessicaDay 

Without being able to take a closer look at your specific gradebook, it sounds like the assignments in question might be falling in between a set marking period since the do not have due dates. Typically if you have assignments without a due date, they will default to the last marking period available since it does not see that their are any dates to associate it with a marking period. 

As far as editing the due date on the assignments in a previous marking period, if they are falling into a previously closed marking period and won't allow you to edit them, it might be best to export the assignments from the course, delete any of the ones you cannot edit and then re-import them back into the course. When you re-import them, you will want select specific content in the import so that you do not duplicate any of your existing assignments and quizzes that students have already submitted to. You will also want to adjust events and due dates so that they reflect that they are part of the specific marking period before you perform the import. If needed you can try to contact support to go over these options. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton

0 Kudos