Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awentCH

Attendance - Daily Class Point Value

Hello,

I am currently trying to find an easier way to implement an attendance policy. We use the Roll Call Attendance feature to track students. A small portion of the student's grade is attendance, and it is worth x amount of points daily, with two being dropped. For example, there are 42 class periods, with attendance being worth 2 points, and two are dropped, total points 78. I've utilized individual assignments in the past semester to implement this policy since the Roll Call feature doesn't seem to deduct by points. I would want it to remove 2 points for each absence out of the 78. Is what I described possible?

Thank you for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @awentCH 

I think I understand your question correctly. Let me know if I missed something. 

Typically what I have seen is that teacher will create a custom badge in the Roll Call tool. They would call the Badge something like "Excused" or even "Excused Absence." This is usually done on the The unmarked attendance status, as it also indicates an excused absence. When you go to mark the student for attendance and they are absent, you would just select the badge. 

When you generate the Attendance report, you can then see the unmarked absences that used the newly created badge. From there you can then go in and manually enter the 2 points for the students at the end of the semester/year.

From what I have found, there is not a way to setup a Rule or Policy to do this automatically for you. I feel like this would make a great Feature Request for future releases in Canvas. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton

awentCH

Hi Colton,

Thank you so much for the reply. I do something similar now, I would just love the automation for the grading aspect. I'll make sure to submit this as a feature request.