Attendance seating chart with merged sections of a course

Jump to solution
blove
Community Explorer

I teach a course that on canvas consists of four merged sections. There are four ways to register for this course (math/CS grad/undergrad) but it's all the same course that meets at the same time in person.  I would like to create an attendance seating chart for the merged class, but as far as I can tell, canvas wants to keep the four sections separate.  The result is that I cannot see the seating chart for the whole class at once, but rather have to go back and forth between the four options in order to figure out who people are.  Is there a way to tell canvas that I want to see a seating chart for the whole class all together?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@blove Are you using the RollCall attendance tool for your seating chart?  If that is the course, there isn't a way to have multiple sections display in the seating chart because of how RollCall pulls the enrollment information from Canvas.  What you could possibly do would be to create an additional section within the course that you enroll all of the students in.  Then you can create a seating chart for this additional course section.  You may need to contact the admin at your institution if you don't have the adequate permissions to create additional sections in your course (this permission varies from institution to institution many times).  You can refer to How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? for how to create this additional section in your course.

View solution in original post

0 Likes