Bulk Editing Requirements In A Module Or Course

Jump to solution
schristensen3
Community Explorer

Is it possible to bulk edit requirements in a module?

Use Case Scenario

1. I upload content into Canvas from a service we use that creates all of the warm-ups, practice activities, quizzes, and tests. Basically we get a ready made course separated into modules.
  2. The course for the year has 350 different activities that students to work through in order.
  3. It needs to be set up so that students do not move on until completing the previous activity in the module stack.
  4. Right now I'm only seeing a way to set requirements one activity at a time. 

Do I really have to set 350 individual activity requirements for the course, or am I missing something? I assume I'm overlooking the "requirements for all activities in module" button? This is probably a dumb question, and is obvious to the pros, however, any help with this would be appreciated.

p.s. I have 5 courses with similar structure I need to set up.

5 x 350 = torture to set individual activity requirements.

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @schristensen3 

350 modules in a course with requirements on all of them certainly is too much. Is the external  tool that you use to create the course before import divvy out every single assignment and quiz into it's own module? The point of modules is more like a one-stop-shop for your students and you can break them per week or section, etc. It isn't really intended for every single assignment, discussion, page, etc. to be its own module. If it does bring it over with 350 separate modules, you may want to start at the source and see about getting the export/import to bring them over in modules based on sections or weeks. If you can, we can incorporate the use of requirements and prerequisites. For example, module A is required to complete all items. Module B has a prerequisite that module A must be completed before it is open. This is ideal and this way your students have to go in order one by one, but it saves you a lot of time. Hopefully this helps!

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-requirements-to-a-module/ta-p/1131

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-prerequisites-to-a-module/ta-p/1123 

View solution in original post

0 Likes