Can we create different sections on Discussions?

Jump to solution
JanetWang
Community Member

I have 3 sections of AP classes.  When I use Discussions on Canvas, I would like to separate the postings from 3 different classes.  But it looks like I see all the postings together.  Is there anything I can do as to the settings so that I can see the postings for different sections separately?  Thank you! 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@JanetWang ...

You could create discussion groups, and then you could assign people to those groups that are identical to the sections that they are enrolled in.  This way, you can have one discussion topic but separated out into three groups.

1. Create a Group Set within your course.  You could name this the same name as your discussion topic title.  How do I add a group set in a course?
  2. Create groups within the group set.  You could come up with creative names for these three sections...such as "Lions", "Tigers", and "Bears" (oh my!).  How do I manually create groups in a group set?
  3. Add the students from these three sections into each of your groups.  How do I manually assign students to groups?
  4. Go to your Discussion topic in your course.  Follow the instructions in this Guide: How do I create a group discussion in a course?  As you are following these instructions, you will be choosing the Group Set name that you created in Step #1 (not the group names you created in Step #2).

Once you save your changes, Canvas automagically knows that when students go to this topic, they will only be having conversations with other members of the same group.  They will not see conversations of the other two groups.

If you wanted to repeat this process for another discussion topic, you could certainly do so.  And, if you wanted to change things up with yet another discussion topic, you could create yet another Group Set with completely different group names (Team Red, Team Blue, Team Green....for example), and mix up the students so that you have some students from all three sections in each of the three groups you wanted.  Of course, you could have more than three groups for any given Group Set, but this is just an example.

Hope this will be of some help to you!  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post