cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corcorank
Community Member

Can you save assignment before submitting it?

can you save assignment before submitting it?

9 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @corcorank  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I will make a stab in the dark.......................

I am going  to assume that you are a student, and the assignment is asking for you to upload some form of a file or document. If the document is stored on your computer, then you have most likely already saved it, or you simply can save it before uploading.

If the assignment is asking you to use the text box to make your submission, then the only way to save that is to select the text, copy it, then paste it into a document on your computer and save. You cannot download your text submission and save that way.

Do these two solutions cover what you are asking? If not, provide more details and I will try again.

Kelley

brian_c_mcgee
Community Member

Kevin,

I'm an instructor and have been asked the same question from my students on how they can submit an assignment as a draft so they can work on it later if they are not on the same computer. Then they can submit the final version when ready. Our older operating system aloud students to save a draft version of their assignment within the operating system not on their computer then could submit a final version for grading at a later time.

Sorry for the wrong assumption,  @brian_c_mcgee 

Canvas does not permit that, but what we suggest to our students who are using one of our lab desktops is that they save their work on a thumb drive. Low capacity thumb drives have gotten so cheap they are putting them in Cracker Jack boxes. For students with laptops or other mobile devices, this is not a problem. Another very viable option, and one without associated costs (let's be real, some or our students cannot even afford Cracker Jacks), is to promote free cloud-storage sites like Drop Box.

Kelley

In addition to Kelley's suggestions, I'd like to share that students where I teach frequently use Google Docs to work on their submissions then either submit a .pdf/.docx, url, or copy/paste into a text document.

Thanks,  @klundstrum  !

I forgot that option, and that's strange since I am a GoogleDocs fan, and it is also an option we promote to our students.

Good catch!

thanks

thanks

thanks

brian_c_mcgee
Community Member

Kevin & Kristin,

Thank you for your great suggestions.