cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmartin
Community Champion

Canvas Discussions Redesign multiple due dates — HOW?

Jump to solution

I can't figure out how to assign multiple due dates (1st for post, 2nd for responses) in the 8/18/21 release of Canvas Discussions Redesign. Will there be directions or a breakdown on how to do this? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@johnmartin  The feature released in the 8/21 release is that multiple dates display on a discussion that has differentiated due dates for different users and sections. The checkpoints feature is currently slated for the third release of the project. Please read through   Discussions Redesign Early Access  for details.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @johnmartin 

I just read the Release note, then enabled the new feature in one of my sandboxes. I do not see a multiple due-date option. So then I checked the Instructor Guides, and see no instructions for this capability; although, the guide does seem to be updated for this new beta!

Hopefully, some clarification will come!

Kelley

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again @johnmartin 

In looking more closely at the release notes back through the first mention of the Discussions/Announcements Redesign, I can find nothing that states that dual due dates have been implemented. I see that it is coming, but I do not think it is  yet here.

Kelley

johnmartin
Community Champion

The more I think about the wording, the more I am bracing myself for disappointment.

While it appears that it's added, I wonder if what Instructure considers "multiple due dates" = different due dates for different students or sections rather than what I'm hoping for — the ability to set multiple dates within a single discussion thread (1st for Post, 2nd for Response, 3rd for Counterargument, etc.)

(from release notes)

Discussions Parity

Added classic Discussions parity functionality:

• Users must post before seeing replies
  • Reply posts can be marked as read or unread
  • Discussion time stamp edit display
  • Multiple Due Dates
    • Addition: Individual student names are displayed instead of the total number of students
  • Previous/Next buttons for Modules
  • Group Discussions
  • Peer Reviews
  • Add to student to-do list

Alas, foiled again.

0 Kudos
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@johnmartin  The feature released in the 8/21 release is that multiple dates display on a discussion that has differentiated due dates for different users and sections. The checkpoints feature is currently slated for the third release of the project. Please read through   Discussions Redesign Early Access  for details.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Thanks for the reply, @Stef_retired !! "Checkpoints!" — that's a good name for them! 

• Teachers can create "checkpoints" per Discussion Topic (ie. Students must read by X date, Students must submit 1st reply by Y date, Students must submit 2nd reply by Z date)

Is there any more current info or rough timeline (since the June 07th post) on the 3rd release?

I'm so excited (er, impatient?) for checkpoints! We've had instructors clamoring for it forever!

I haven't seen anything more definitive, @johnmartin , and by all means feel free to post questions about the features and timelines to the Discussions Redesign group! The product manager is actively engaging in that group.