Canvas Groupset Issue - All students seeing students assignment submissions

Jump to solution
TaylorWheeler
Community Member

I have a professor reaching out to me regarding her doctoral students canvas page for this summer. She has all her dissertation students in one class, but only a select group of them need to submit an assignment. She has put the students that need to submit the assignment into a group and when they upload their assignments, they're all able to see each others submissions. I instructed her to delete the group and see if that fixes the problem, but she said that the other students will be confused. I'm unsure of how to resolve this issue. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

When Canvas created "groups," they really should have used the term "teams" instead. In Canvas, a "group" means a team of students working collaboratively together. Group assignments are meant to be shared projects.

It's actually very easy for an instructor to create an assignment for only a few students. All she needs to do is create the assignment. Then in the "assign to" box with dates, she should replace "everyone" with the names of the individual students. 

By doing so, only those students will see the assignment. The rest of the class won't see the assignment at all. Also, those students given the extra assignment won't see the names of the others who have been assigned it as well. 

View solution in original post