Canvas Theme Customization (Dark Mode)

Jump to solution
DanielCrum
Community Member

Currently, dark mode is not available on Canvas on the web (even though it is available on the mobile app). The ability to change themes is also limited to admins (did you really think that only admins would want the ability to customize how Canvas looks). I am currently relying on a dark mode extension from the Chrome Web Store, however, this results in certain text (such as discussion post entries) still appearing dark on the dark background, reducing visibility. Can you guys create a dark theme that doesn't have the visibility issues of what I can currently get with extensions or just add the ability for students to make their own custom themes? It seems like either of these would be pretty easy to add if you have access to internal files (I have been able to change the CSS through inspect element to achieve the results I would like, I just can't get this CSS code working properly on an extension such as Stylish to change the CSS code).

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @DanielCrum ...

There is an Idea that's already been submitted called [Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas - Instructure Community - 364079 (canvaslms.com) that you might want to follow.  You'll see that it's been added to a larger Theme called Improved UI Controls and Usability - Cleaner or fr... - Instructure Community - 552712 (canvaslms.co....  The Idea has a current status of "Identified"...which you can read more about here: How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Co... - Instructure Community - 2980 (canvaslms.com).

Finally, this Guide describes the voting process: How do I participate with themes? - Instructure Community - 552455 (canvaslms.com).

I know this might not be a direct answer to your question, but I hope the links I've provided will be helpful to you.

View solution in original post