Canvas copy/export

Jump to solution
TPeeler
Community Member

Is there a way to download/export a complete copy of all course content, pages, quizzes/tests, original text in a format that can be opened/used later?  

Most specifically, any original text that I created for all pages, assignments, etc., as well as, all quizzes/tests that are useful or can be useful in other formats?

Downloading/exporting a quiz seems to always produce a copy that results in needing to be completely reformatted so that it can be printed.   In some cases it is simply easier to copy/paste the whole thing rather than downloading it.  

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TPeeler ...

This might not be a complete answer for you, but you can export your entire course as a *.imscc file.  Then, once that file has been downloaded, you can change the *.imscc file extension to a *.zip file.  Once you do that, unzip the *.zip file.  You'll find a folder called "web_resources" which will contain all the files from your "Files" area of your course.  Another folder, "wiki_content", will have all the course Pages and Assignments.  These should be HTML pages that you could view.  You can look through the other folders (some of which will have long strings of alpha-numeric folder names) to see what is there.  I wanted to pass along this information to you in case it would be helpful in some way.

How do I export a Canvas course?

View solution in original post

mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TPeeler 

The standard export format is really a package designed to be imported back into Canvas, or possibly another LMS.  It is not really designed to give you access to individual files and content outside of Canvas.

One thing you might try, if it is enabled at your school, it downloading in ePub format.  See https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-view-course-content-offline-as-an-ePub-... 

View solution in original post