Canvas gradebook and Gradescope: submission status discrepancy

Jump to solution
Dr_Biophys
Community Member

I am using Gradescope for a number of homework assignments and have it correctly linked through Canvas (afaik from the instructor guides; using LTI 1.3). Students have successfully submitted the assignment before the (now past) deadline. My issue is that the Canvas gradebook does not show that anything has been submitted in the Instructor view and I have been told that students have been seeing a "Submitted" status on the browser version but "no submission" on the mobile app. 

I know that the Canvas assignment is set up using an external tool (Gradescope) and there will be some issues due to "technology" which is fine and understandable, but I don't understand why students would see conflicting submission status reports. Any ideas or advice for how I can answer my students concerns? I'd rather not confirm each submission for every student who asks about this.

Additionally, it'd be nice to see in my Instructor view of the gradebook if students actually submitted the assignment without having to go to Gradescope externally each time... but that seems more like a "feature/idea" problem unless I'm missing something.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @Dr_Biophys ...

Full disclosure...this is the first time I've ever heard of Gradescope, so I have no idea what kind of functionality it provides and how it connects with Canvas.  However, since Gradescope sounds like a third-party integration, I would suggest that you reach out directly to their support staff since things from their system don't seem to be transferring to Canvas the way that you had hoped.  I tried searching the Googles to see if I could find any information for you.  You may have already seen this page, but I thought I'd share it anyway...

Using Gradescope with Canvas as an Instructor - Gradescope Help Center

Near the bottom of the page, there is a "Need help? Contact Us." link.  I would suggest starting there to let Gradescope know you're having some issues.  Since it is their integration with Canvas, they should be able to provide some guideance for you.

Keep us posted...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes