cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbauer

Canvas gradebook...hiding selected Assignment Group columns

Jump to solution

Does the new Canvas gradebook give the instructor the ability to completely suppress selected columns from the student view? It seems the existing gradebook does not. I've created an assignment group that holds all of my non-graded assignments but, despite the fact there will never be any grades posted in that group, a gradebook column was automatically created with no option to hide it from view. I also utilize a grading system that is not compatible with Canvas' weighting/dropping capabilities and therefore also want to suppress/hide all assignment group averages and prevent those calculated data from appearing in the student view.  Bottom line...the ONLY data I want my students to see are the RAW SCORES, nothing more. Having taught university courses for over four decades it is inconceivable to me that a system such as Canvas would not allow faculty full control over what their students see, or don't see, in the gradebook view. Thanks.  

1 Solution
audrey_crawford
Community Participant

Hi Glen,

In both the old and the New Gradebook, you can hide all the total columns. Here's a procedure for doing it: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12713-415292748 

You cannot hide only the Group Totals - hiding the totals hides ALL the total columns.

Good luck,

Audrey

View solution in original post

7 Replies
audrey_crawford
Community Participant

Hi Glen,

In both the old and the New Gradebook, you can hide all the total columns. Here's a procedure for doing it: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12713-415292748 

You cannot hide only the Group Totals - hiding the totals hides ALL the total columns.

Good luck,

Audrey

@audrey_crawford wrote:

Hi Glen,

Good luck,

Audrey

Has this changed? I can no longer hide the group columns. This setting turns off the Total column but the others are still sitting there for students to see.

0 Kudos
gbauer
Kelley and Audrey,
Thanks for your feedback.  I am aware that disabling the course total calculation also disables all assignment group totals.  Problem is, even then the assignment groups show up in the student gradebook view with the 335278_eye.png icon in the score column. In my humble opinion, "hide from view" has a very specific meaning not realized in the Canvas gradebook as currently configured. It's hard for me to understand why a disabled item would still be displayed in the student view. Thanks again. 
335318_Capture.PNG
Glen
ThereseWoozley

I am having the same issue. I would like control over which columns are visable to students - why do they need to see multiple columns that have no impact on their overall grades? There aare multiple total columns - very confusing for all of us. I just want one overall total column - there has to be a way to accomplish this. Arg...  

Hello there, @ThereseWoozley and @gbauer ...

If you would like to see this kind of option as a feature within Canvas, I would recommend that you create a Feature Idea here in the Community so that Community members can provide their own feedback and evaluate it.  Here are a few Guides to get you started:

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Take care...

0 Kudos

@ThereseWoozley the reason for the multiple columns is because you are using assignment groups (I assume since that is where they come from) and that is sort of the purpose of assignment groups and why you have the ability to weight them.  If you put all your assignments in one group, the default assignments group, then there is only one total column.  I am guessing you may be using the groups to break up the assignments in some fashion but that is really what modules is for.  We actually hide the "assignments" button from students so it forces them to access things from the modules or linked in pages.  We do allow faculty to override this but that is our default.  We only have faculty use assignment groups if they are going to weight stuff but on rare occurrences faculty want students to see sub-scores for each module (or some makeup like that) so we have them match their assignment groups the same as their modules so it creates the columns in the gradebook.

Just a thought to help until a feature can be developed!

-Nick

maguire
Community Champion

You can create custom columns in the grade book, these are not visible to students. You can store up to ~255 characters in an entry. Sadly, there is not history maintained for them - but you can read and write them manually or via the API. They have the properties of the "Notes" column, but you can create them via the API. One limitation is that they have to be displayed on the left - before the assignment/quiz/... columns.